March 15, 2019 11:48:58 AM
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
An inmate at Lowndes County Adult Detention Center has died.
Deputies found Jefferson Russell Finch, 26, alone in his cell unresponsive at about 5 p.m. Thursday, according to a Lowndes County officials. Authorities immediately began performing CPR and other life-saving measures. An ambulance took the victim to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle.
Finch died at about 5 a.m. Friday at the hospital, according to the release.
An initial press release from the sheriff's office Friday morning did not identify the inmate. Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant released his name Friday afternoon.
Lowndes County Circuit Court records indicate Finch was sentenced Feb. 26, after pleading guilty to a possession of methamphetamine charge, to 20 years in the Mississippi Department of Correction, including 10 to serve and 10 suspended. He was waiting in county jail for MDOC to transfer him to a state facility.
Mississippi Bureau of Investigations is handling the death investigation, according to the press release.
1. Unlicensed workers injured when house collapses COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Emerson withdrawing from J.L. King Center STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Monday profile: Morris finds calling to medicine, Mississippi COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. 100 Women Columbus raises nearly $13K COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Police seek suspect who robbed man at knife-point outside Family Dollar COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY