February 11, 2019 10:22:13 AM
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
A suspect in Friday's West Main Arms Apartments homicide case attempted to pay someone to help commit the murder, according to court documents.
Henry Neal Jr., 27, of Starkville, has been charged with attempted conspiracy to commit murder for the shooting death of Joseph Turnipseed Jr., 33.
Police found Turnipseed shot to death in a vehicle at the West Main Arms Apartments near downtown Starkville after responding to a call of shots fired in the area just after 10 p.m. Friday.
According to documents The Dispatch obtained from Starkville municipal court, Neal offered another, unnamed person $5,000 on Feb. 5 to assist in a murder. While Neal was arrested in connection with Turnipseed's shooting death, the name of the conspiracy's target is redacted on court records.
Public Information Officer Brandon Lovelady said the case remains under active investigation.
Neal is being held in the Oktibbeha County Jail. He's scheduled to appear in Starkville municipal court at 6 p.m. today.
Police have asked that anyone with information on the case contact Starkville Police Department at 662-323-4131 or Golden Triangle Crimestoppers at 1-800-530-7151.
Alex Holloway was formerly a reporter with The Dispatch.
1. ALDI and TJ Maxx sign onto Highway 12 retail center project STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Former MUW student pushes for state-wide change over eyebrow threading COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Oktibbeha joins Lowndes in calling for EMCC investigation STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Ward 4 candidates prioritize youth outreach COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Monday Profile: MSU retiree finds second career among horses STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY