November 13, 2018 10:51:44 AM
A 20-year-old man has died after he and several others were apparently playing a Russian roulette-style game over the weekend.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant confirmed Darren Tyler Hall died Sunday at University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson from a gunshot wound he sustained Saturday night at a neighbor's home at 1817 Phillips Hill Road in New Hope. Authorities responded to the scene at about 7:30 p.m.
According to Lowndes County Sheriff Mike Arledge, no one is facing charges for Hall's death, which has been ruled an accident.
He told The Dispatch Hall was playing a game that was either Russian roulette or similar with a group of several people about his age. Multiple witnesses told investigators the gunshot wound was self-inflicted.
"There was some horseplay with a gun and the gun went off," Arledge said. "... It's just a tragic accident."
1. Winning: Love of baseball drives success for MSU head coach Chris Lemonis STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Monday profile: Morris finds calling to medicine, Mississippi COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. County continues seeking easements for Blackjack Road project STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Makerspace movement continues to thrive in Starkville STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Lowndes County begins summer work program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY