October 10, 2018 10:38:52 AM
OXFORD-- University of Mississippi Chancellor Jeffrey Vitter says the state College Board could consider removing a donor's name from the Ole Miss journalism school after critics denounced a Facebook post by the donor as racist.
Vitter says in a statement Tuesday that he's submitting a request to trustees after the journalism faculty and three academic councils voted in favor of removing Ed Meek's name from the Meek School of Journalism and New Media.
Vitter says the proposal could get "expedited consideration" Oct. 18.
Meek asked for his name to be removed from the school where he and his wife donated $5.3 million.
Meek posted photos of two black women on Facebook Sept. 19 and suggested they represented problems that could cause property values to drop. He apologized after coming under criticism.
1. Unlicensed workers injured when house collapses COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Emerson withdrawing from J.L. King Center STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. Monday profile: Morris finds calling to medicine, Mississippi COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. 100 Women Columbus raises nearly $13K COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Police seek suspect who robbed man at knife-point outside Family Dollar COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY