Fourth Street South resident Japa Castro said his children have come up with a game they call "firecrackers or gunshots." That's how prevalent the sound of gunshots has become in South Columbus, he told the city council at its meeting Tuesday. He was one of a group of Southside residents who attended the meeting to raise concerns about what they said was an unprecedented increase in gun violence in their area.
Starkville-Oktibbeha Consolidated School District will not implement a modified, year-round school schedule -- at least not for the 2021-22 school year.
After nearly 20 years of business, The Veranda owners announced the Starkville restaurant is officially closed. Co-owner Frank Jones confirmed the restaurant's official closure and said the COVID-19 pandemic forced Jones and fellow owner Jay Yates to a "quick-decision close" in mid-December.
Mississippi State will allow an increase in capacity at Dudy Noble Field as soon as this weekend. A source inside the athletic department, who asked not to be named, confirmed to The Dispatch Tuesday that the school plans to sell an additional 4,400 chairback seats, while outfield rigs will now be allowed to hold as many as eight people.
One person has been killed and another critically injured in a shooting Wednesday evening outside a Pilcher Street apartment complex.
1. Three juvenile passengers injured in weekend collision with train COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Brothers wanted for questioning in Saturday shooting COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Council votes to keep mask mandate in Columbus COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Parchman inmate from Lowndes County dies in custody COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Lowndes County Marriages and Divorces Feb. 2021 PUBLIC RECORDS